Afghanistan: Talibans claim responsibility for attacks in embassies and NATO compounds in central Kabul, 6 killed and 15 wounded
Taliban suicide fighters in Kabul have stormed a multistory building that is under construction, taking over the structure and using it as a fortress tower to fire rockets toward several nearby embassies and NATO compounds.
Afghan officials said at least one policeman and two attackers were killed in gun battles within a few hours of the attack on September 13, and that fighting was continuing with several other militants.
Officials later said at least six people had been killed and at least 15 wounded in the attack.
The fighting was taking place in what is usually the most heavily protected part of Kabul.
A Taliban spokesman claimed responsibility for the violence, saying the targets included the headquarters of the International Security Assistance Force, the U.S. embassy and Afghanistan’s intelligence agency, the National Directorate of Security (NDS) — as well as other “sensitive government facilities.”