Afghanistan: At least 32 dead after shooting in Kabul, Islamic State (ISIS) terrorist group claims responsibility
Gunmen opened fire on a memorial ceremony Friday in Kabul, killing at least 32 people and wounding dozens more in the first major attack in the Afghan capital since the U.S. signed a peace framework with the Taliban late last week. Several prominent politicians, including the country’s chief executive and recent presidential candidate, Abdullah Abdullah, were in the audience but escaped unharmed.
A spokesman for the Afghan Ministry of the Interior said the gunmen retreated to a nearby building, where they were killed during an hours-long standoff with security forces.
An Islamic State group claimed responsibility for the attack. The ceremony marked 25 years since the death of Abdul Ali Mazari, a leader of the country’s Shiite minority, and the Sunni militant group that targeted a similar event last year.
“This situation looks endless in our country,” one of the people injured in the attack told local media. “There are political games, but only the poor people pay the price — how long will this continue?”