East Libyan forces battled to advance into a final area of Benghazi controlled by their opponents on Tuesday, clearing mines and roadblocks and targeting snipers with cover from tank rounds.
Khalifa Haftar’s self-styled Libyan National Army (LNA) says it is close to concluding a three-year campaign for control of Libya’s second city, having surrounded rival fighters in a strip of the seafront district of Sabri little more than two km (1-1/4 miles) wide.
The campaign has been halting, with the LNA suffering high casualties even after gaining the upper hand early last year.
A medical source said at least 17 troops had been killed and at least 50 wounded in fighting since Monday. The LNA said it had killed 19 of its opponents.