Yemen: Suicide bombers target Shiite rebels in Yemeni capital
Two suicide bombers and another blast targeted the headquarters of Yemen’s Shiite rebels in the capital, Sanaa, on Wednesday, killing at least four people and wounding some 60 others, officials said. Earlier Saudi-led airstrikes hit a convoy of civilian vehicles and killed at least 31 people, authorities said.
The Health Ministry said in a statement that the casualty figure from the Sanaa attacks on Wednesday night was “preliminary,” as Muslims around the world prepared for the start of the holy month of Ramadan. Ambulances rushed through the streets in northern and central parts of the capital where the offices of the rebels, known as Houthis, are located.
Security officials said two suicide attackers drove car bombs into the gates of two buildings before detonating them. They said a third attack targeted a gathering of Houthis in Sanaa’s Green Dome district.
Yemen’s conflict pits the Houthis — who seized the capital last year — and military units loyal to former President Ali Abdullah Saleh against an array of forces, including southern separatists, local and tribal militias, Islamic militants and loyalists of exiled President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi. The Saudi-led coalition backing Hadi began carrying out airstrikes on March 26.