More than 200 people died in a rebel attack in south Sudan’s troubled Jonglei state last week, a senior southern official said on Tuesday, nearly double an earlier death toll.
“We counted 201 casualties. I sadly helped to participate in burying some of the bodies,” Stephen Kuol, Jonglei’s state minister for education, told AFP.
Kuol had just returned from a government assessment mission to Fangak county in northern Jonglei, where the fighting took place.
The secretary general of the south’s ruling party gave a similar casualty figure earlier on Tuesday.